Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mandalas

While struggling to get a student comfortable in my office, I recalled how in our first meeting together she shared her love of art with me. I recalled how last year in my placement when I was working with an individual, we used Mandalas. While working with my student this year, we both looked at our art while talking and as a result, she began to open up. She did not have to make that eye contract while talking with me, and I believe that really helped her feel more comfortable in sessions. We no longer need to use the art as a place to get comfortable, but it was amazing to see how quickly she chanced when she was able to do something she loved that was also a soothing activity.

Research suggests that Mandalas reduce anxiety, so while working with an extremely anxious student, this is a good activity especially when starting to get to know each other. This activity fits into the School Social Work Model because this activity is evidence based, and I am using it to provide mental health services. It was evident when leaving that session, my student was less anxious about meeting with me, and as a result, we have had extremely effective sessions. I highly recommend doing Mandalas or any type of art therapy with your students when you can sense some anxiety, it is a simple activity that may help your student relax, and it is fun!







Image result for mandalas



Image result for mandalas

No comments:

Post a Comment